Q. How do I create a JSTOR account?
What is a JSTOR Account?
Your JSTOR account is a personal account that you can create within the JSTOR database. It lets you save articles that you find in the database, organizing them by topic, project, etc., in something that JSTOR calls your "workspace." A JSTOR account will also allow you to access up to 6 articles/month that are not included in the Marianopolis subscription to the database.
Do I need a JSTOR account to use the JSTOR database?
No. Your JSTORR account is separate from the login credentials for using the JSTOR database. To find our more about logging into databases, take a look at these step-by-step instructions.
Creating a JSTOR account.
To create a JSTOR account, all you need is an email address. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Library page on the Marianopolis website.
- Go down to the "Journal and Newspaper articles" section and click on the link to JSTOR. Log in (for more information, see these step-by-step instructions).
- Once you've logged in to the database, you'll notice a "Log In" and a "Register" link in the top-right corner of the screen. Click on "Register."
- This will take you to an account creation page. Fill out the form using your name and a personal email address. It can be any kind of email address (gmail, hotmail, etc.), as long as it is valid. For the Institution, enter "Marianopolis College." For "Role," select "Undergraduate Student." You can select an "Primary Area of Study" that you want from the provided list. It does not affect your access in any way.
- Create a password. Make sure that it is different from your College computer password or your Omnivox password.
- Click "Continue."
- If what you entered was valid, you'll receive a confirmation message stating that your account has been created. Click on the "Click here" link to confirm your account.
- Log in using the username and password that you just created for your account. You will know that you have signed in correctly if the "Sign In" link in the top tool bar has changed to "Sign Out."
Once you have created your account, you will be able to save any article you find in the database, organize them into folders, and share your saved research with others via email.
The Library's LibChat virtual reference desk is available from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., though the Library page on the Marianopolis website.
You can also submit a question here. We will respond to you as quickly as possible during business hours.