Q. How do I place a hold on a checked out item?
If an item from the Library's Circulation, Graphic Novels, or Light Reading collections has been checked out by someone else, you can place what is called a "hold" on the item. This means that, when the item is returned, it will be set aside for you at the Circulation Desk and you will be notified via MIO.
To place a hold on an item in person, you can got the Circulation Desk in the Library. You will need your Marianopolis ID card.
To place a hold online, follow these steps:
- Go to the Library catalogue.
- Search for the item you want to place a hold on in the search bar.
- Click on the item.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, click on "Place a hold."
- Fill out the form:
- Your seven-digit student number: This number can be found on your Marianopolis ID card (e.g. 1234567). For Faculty and Staff, this is your employee number.
- Your PIN: This is the PIN for the "My Account" feature in the Library Catalogue. Your temporary PIN for "My Account" is "CHANGEME", with no spaces and all in capital letters. Note that this PIN is independent from all other logins at the College. For information about changing your PIN, please consult this FAQ.
- Pickup at: Leave set to "Marianopolis College."
- Item not needed after: Set the date after which you would no longer need the book.
- Click "Place Hold."
If it is possible to place a hold on the item, the catalogue will let you know. If it is not possible to place a hold on the item (e.g. if the item is not checked out, or if the item is part of the Reserve or Reference collections), you will be notified as well.
For more information about accessing the Library Catalogue's "My Account" feature, consult this FAQ.
The Library's LibChat virtual reference desk is available from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., though the Library page on the Marianopolis website.
You can also submit a question here. We will respond to you as quickly as possible during business hours.
Don't see what you're looking for in our FAQs? Don't hesitate to contact us.